Return to main list of library policies
The Pearl River Public Library is public non-profit institution supported by the taxpayers of the Pearl River Union Free School District. Its primary function is to house the resources and to provide space for delivering the services offered by the Library.
In light of its educational mission, the Library permits tutoring in accordance with the guidelines provided below.
- There is no designated space in the Library for tutoring, nor may any space be reserved for tutoring.
- Some Library sponsored programs require interaction between the presenter and the participants. This sometimes raises the noise level in areas of the Library where tutors prefer to conduct their tutoring. Library sponsored programs will not be moved or modified to accommodate a tutoring session.
- When available the Community Room may be used as a tutoring space. A weekly calendar will be placed on all of the tables indicating when the Community Room is available.
- Tutors may not publish or distribute advertising or letters identifying the Library as their place of doing business or imply Library sponsorship or endorsement of their professional activities. Pursuant to the Library’s Code of Conduct, tutors may not solicit Library patrons in the Library.
- Any fees that are negotiated for tutoring are between the tutor and the one(‘s) being tutored. The Library is in no way involved in fees charged, nor does it endorse the charging of fees for tutoring within the Library. All arrangements, monetary or otherwise, must be made between the tutor, student, and parents off Library property.
- The Library does not sponsor, recommend or assume liability or responsibility for the work and/or activities of the tutor and all arrangements must be made between the student/parent and the tutor. The tutor is responsible for establishing communication protocols for his/her students and their parents. The Library staff is not responsible for making or canceling tutoring session nor taking or relaying messages for tutors.
- Tutors may provide instruction for a maximum of two students per tutor, per session. The Library may not be used as a classroom or office space, but as a safe, quiet workspace for students and tutors.
- Tutors and students must bring their own supplies.
- Students being tutored are strongly encouraged to obtain a library card.
- Tutors and students are subject to all the Library’s Rules of Conduct and Internet Use Policy. The tutor shall be responsible for the students’ compliance with library rules.
- It is preferred that a parent, guardian or other responsible person remain in the Library while the student is being tutored. The Library assumes no responsibility for children left unattended.
First Reading by the Board of Trustees: 2/27/2017; Second Reading and adoption 3/27/2017.