The Pearl River Lutheran Evangelical Church was formed in 1901 among the Scandinavian community. These recent migrants to Pearl River were employed by the Dexter Folder Company who recruited them and their families to work skilled labor positions at the factory. This building served as a house of worship until its demolition in 1924.
This new structure built in 1924, still serves the Lutheran community of Pearl River and is called The Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. The Congregation purchased the house on the corner of Hunt Avenue and North Main Street for the purpose of building a Sunday school. The congregation is still very active to this day.
Built at the behest of Talbot Chambers Dexter for his employees of the Methodist faith, this building is still the United Methodist Church of Pearl River. The contracting carpenter was William Springsteen of Pearl River who built this structure in 1894 for the sum of $1500. The land was donated by Mr. and Mrs. George W. Braunsdorf who lived across the street in a house which is now the Wyman- Fisher Funeral home. In 1902 the parsonage was built to the north of the church again by Springsteen, for the sum of $1787.94. Today, a very active congregation hosts a variety of community events.
Prior to 1901 when this wooden structure was built, people of the Catholic faith met at the Karl Samuelson home on Ridge Street. Father John McCormick purchased the land at the corner of Summit Avenue and West Central Avenue from James Serven on what was known as Serven’s Hill. It is Philip Beckerle whose home can be seen in the lower right hand side of the photo. The building was constructed by Albert J. Slade, a carpenter whose home on Central Avenue is now Louie's on the Avenue Restaurant. In the autumn of 1929 sparks from a leaf fire set the building ablaze which historically speaking, turned out to be one of Pearl River’s most catastrophic fires. The structure burned to the ground.
After the fire, services were held at the Unique Club and the Knights of Columbus Hall on Franklin Avenue. Land was later purchased on that same Avenue where the Pearl River Public Library is today. For some unknown reason the church council chose not to build on this new piece of property. They stayed on the hill top and built a brick, fireproof structure. This building has continued to serve the community since April, 1931.